Thursday 20 April 2017

DEAR WORLD,

I always felt that you were too big for us to stay in the same place for too long.

Maybe it is just my Portuguese soul that makes me look for the unknown with curiosity instead of being afraid, and I can say that because of it I had the chance to travel and live in places that sometimes have showed me different realities when compared with the one I grow up in, but they also made me met people as good as the ones I grow up with.

Bold, I have never looked to you as a closed place! You always invited us to discover and rediscover you as many times as we wanted to. Unfortunately, it is us, the only living beings to the ones who was given the power of reason, who, in order to chase more power and money, keeps claiming your territories as if our roots could have borders.

Travelling into you makes me even most conscientious that I am more than the ethnic cross that defines me in the records that I have to fill in every time I have to apply for a job, a university, or an ID. Every time I have to choose if I am a white British, an Asian, African or other. And it is definitely a beautiful way of breaking those differences that persist in emerging,

It is not the place where you came from that defines you, but how you deal with the borders that surround you.

LISBON, PORTUGAL


SINTRA, PORTUGAL

LIVERPOOL, UK

CROSBY, UK

LONDON, UK

ROME, ITALY

MADRID, SPAIN

TUNES, TUNISIA

TENERIFE, SPAIN

TENERIFE, SPAIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! <3